Monday, August 1, 2011

Meatless Monday: Black Bean Burritos

Another Meatless Monday is upon us! This week's recipe is adapted from a recipe on my favorite recipe site, allrecipes.com. Here's the direct link to the original recipe.

This recipe is perfect for the summer. Once you have your veggies chopped, it's super easy and quick. Instead of heating up my oven to warm the tortillas, I just pop them in the microwave. Perhaps that sacrifices some texture, but it's worth it to not pump heat into the house.

I make a few more alterations, too. I use Neufchatel cheese instead of cream cheese. It saves on fat and calories. I usually substitute green bell peppers for the red bell peppers to save money, but this week, red bell peppers have been on sale. Instead of using half a bell pepper, I just throw the whole thing in. I also tuck in some minced spinach for extra veggies. Finally, I halve the jalapenos, and I serve hot sauce on the side.

This recipe is supposed to make two burritos. I always get four, sometimes even five. Andrew and I each eat one, and I make Oliver's into a quesadilla. I have enough leftover filling for 1-2 more burritos the next day.


Here's my version of Black Bean Burritos (serves 4):

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 small onion, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon jalapeno peppers, minced
1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
3 ounces Neufchatel cheese (sometimes labeled as 1/3 reduced fat cream cheese)
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1/4 cup fresh spinach, finely chopped
4 (8 inch) flour tortillas

1. Heat oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic and jalapeno pepper. Cook for 2-5 minutes, until the onion starts to soften. Add the black beans and cook for 3 minutes more.

2. Cut Neufchatel cheese into cubes and stir into the pan until melted and incorporated. Cook for two minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir cilantro and spinach into the mixture.

3. Microwave tortillas for about 20 seconds each to warm them up. Spoon mixture onto the center of each tortilla and roll them up. Serve immediately.


Per Serving:
Calories: Approximately 350
Protein: Approximately 12 grams
Cost: Approximately $2.00

No comments: