Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Midwife Appointment

I saw my midwife today for a quick appointment. She said my uterus is about the size of a cantaloupe and is about a finger's width below my belly button. I also got to hear the heartbeat--140bpm.

I didn't realize how much I wanted to hear that heartbeat until I heard it, and then I felt so much better! A good friend of mine from high school was expecting a baby with his wife, due about the same time as ours. They had their first child shortly after we had Oliver, but they lost the pregnancy this time. All the talk of high HCG and the weird, early kicks I've been feeling have had me on edge. I just wish I could fast-forward 6 months and have a good delivery and a healthy baby.

Meanwhile, my back is killing me this afternoon. It hurts so much! I finally Googled the symptom to see what was up. Apparently, the hormone relaxin (which relaxes your ligaments allowing for your hips to expand) peeks at week 14. I read that it can cause aches and pains. Boy, let me tell you! Ouch.

It's funny that my first pregnancy left me so exhausted. All I did was think of sleep. This go around, I have a little more energy and less exhaustion, but so many more aches and pains! I guess it's a good trade off since I have a toddler to chase around this time, but I have to say that I'm glad this pregnancy is passing quickly. Twenty-six more weeks to go!

No comments: