Saturday, June 26, 2010

"Talk" Play Continues

I really love how responsive Oliver is, and it never ceases to amaze me. Andrew or I will pat our hand against the table, and Oliver pats back. One of us clicks our tongue at him, and he clicks back. He really is mastering the art of repeating our sounds and actions back to us, and so I feel confident he understands we can communicate with each other.

I really look forward to the day he can talk to us and tell us how he feels. I decided it has to be hard for a child to verbalize his feelings, even when he can talk, so I've been practicing with Oliver. When he's upset, I verbalize it for him: "You're mad because Mom took the coaster away. You're mad, and you're sad because you don't have the coaster." I think that will make it easier for him to understand his feelings one day. I hope that will lead to him telling us how he feels as opposed to showing us through tantrums. I'll let you know how that goes!

No comments: