Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Nap Progress!

Can I say "Thank you" again to Missy? I'm loving The No-Cry Sleep Solution. I love reading the little blurbs from mothers, most of whom feel the same way I do. When I read about their experiences trying to let their babies "cry it out," I cried, too. Just my five minute experience with it the other day was enough for me to swear off of it forever. Apparently, I'm not the only one!

Today, I was reading how frequently and long Oliver should be napping. She briefly mentioned that babies shouldn't nap less than an hour because they don't get to complete their sleep cycle and can, in turn, be more tired. That really jumped out at me because Ollie's naps in my arms are sometimes 20 minutes, sometimes 30, but most frequently, they're 45 minutes. Only once on the occasional day does he nap for an hour or more.

Today, he drifted off to sleep in my arms at 8:15am. I sat in the computer chair with him so I could read more of The No-Cry Sleep Solution. Ollie started fidgeting after half an hour. I proptly rocked him in the chair and patted his back, and he settled back down into sleep. Fifteen minutes later, we repeated the process, and again ten minutes after that. At 9:15am, I celebrated silently that he'd slept an hour. Then, since he reached the milestone, I set him in his infant seat so I could pee and brew some coffee. I expected him to wake up immediately like always, but he's still sleeping (20 minutes later)!

I also read that babies shouldn't nap more than 3 hours in a row because then they can flip their nights and days. If he's still sleeping at 10:30am, I'll take him upstairs and change his diaper to wake him up. I don't think that will be an issue, though.

Time to enjoy my coffee and do the dishes!

1 comment:

Samantha said...

Yay! Congrats, Momma! You work that nap schedule!